If you want to catch up on the season so far, click the links below:
Guess what!? You can still trade in August. Anyone not on the 40 man roster is eligible to be traded – it is time to shake things up a bit.
Joey Bart is struggling in the the Majors as we enter the month of August. After just over one hundred ABs he is hitting .187. He needs some time back in AAA to figure things out – he just is not ready for the bigs yet. I decided that this was a good time for me to grab a top tier prospect for a few of my own.
Ramos, Toribio and Callahan
|Heliot Ramos||19||64||A||Orioles||Adley Rutschman||21||C||71||A|
I am sad to see Heliot Ramos go, but I was able to grab the #1 pick from the (actual) 2019 MLB draft. Adley Rutschman will be able to play immediately for me behind the dish.
Davidson, Lovegrove, and Sierra
|Logan Davidson||21||65||B||Padres||Jose Castillo||23||RP||76||B|
I was high on Logan Davidson when I initially acquired him. Unfortunately for him, he is the 4th best shortstop in my organization. I move Davidson and two C level prospects for a reliever that will immediately help my Major League roster.
MLB Debut For Rutschman
- Adley Rutschman showed up to Oracle Park ready to play. He took the first pitch he saw and lined it up the middle for his first major league hit.
- In the 4th inning, on just the second pitch he saw as a major leaguer, he flared a single to left field.
- In the 6th inning – he hit a ball off the pitchers shin for another hit.
- During his fourth at bat – he probably had his best hit ball of the night – but lined out to the left fielder.
- The Giants won the game 4-3 and Rutschman finished the night 3/4.
- Joey Bart was sent back down to AAA – he needs some time to improve his bat and get it ready for the 2020 season.
- On August 13th, Adley Rutschman was promoted to the MLB squad – he will wear #35.
- On August 13th, Jose Castillo was promoted to the MLB squad – he will wear #65.
- Travis Bergen was sent to AAA.
- On August 16th, the Giants claimed 2B Esteban Quiroz and 2B Peter Van Gansen from the Padres.
- Cliff Pennington was placed on trade waivers – and was unclaimed. He was sent to AAA.
- Esteban Quiroz was promoted to the MLB squad – he will wear #92.
- On August 21st, Royce Lewis broke his arm – ending his season.
- Logan Wyatt returned to the Flying Squirrels on August 28th.
Regular Season Results
The Giants finished the year with a 64-98 record – dead last in the N.L. West. Only the Orioles had a worse record in all of baseball, and the Giants were only better by one game.
The River Cats finished the season with a 59-81 record. They did not make the playoffs.
The Flying Squirrels finished the season with a 77-63 record. They made the postseason as a wild card team. The Squirrels were swept by the Eerie Seawolves in the first round.
|NL MVP||Ronald Acuna Jr.||.362 AVG, 47 HR, 125 RBI||Braves|
|NL Cy Young||Clayton Kershaw||16-6, 2.48 ERA, 220K||Dodgers|
|NL Rookie of the Year||Austin Riley||.257 AVG, 31 HR, 108 RBI||Braves|
|AL MVP||J.D. Martinez||.298 AVG, 59 HR, 141 RBI||Red Sox|
|AL Cy Young||Chris Sale||17-5, 3.12 ERA, 258K||Red Sox|
|AL Rookie of the Year||Vladamir Guerrero Jr.||.292 AVG, 31 HR, 92 RBI||Blue Jays|
- Mets over Phillies
- Yankees over Blue Jays
- Indians over Astros 3-2
- Yankees over Red Sox 3-2
- Pirates over Dodgers 3-1
- Braves over Mets 3-1
- Indians over Yankees 4-1
- Pirates over Braves 4-2
It looks like the trade I made with the Pirates prior to the season has really impacted the playoffs this year. The Pirates won the N.L. Central. Madison Bumgarner has pitched 25 innings so far in the playoffs. He is 3-0 with a 0.72 ERA and 26 K. In game 6 of the NLCS – Bumgarner threw a complete game shutout while batting 2/5 with 2 HR and 4 RBI. The Pirates won that game 26-0. Will Smith has 2 saves for the Pirates so far with a 0.00 ERA. Steven Vogt, who I traded in July to the Pirates – is now their everyday first baseman. He is hitting .359 in the playoffs so far.
I also had a trade that impacted the Indians. Carlos Asuaje is starting at second base and hitting 2nd for the Indians through their postseason run.
- The Cleveland Indians won the World Series 4-2. Asuaje led the league in hits throughout the playoffs with 19.
- Madison Bumgarner had 3 HR in the postseason. He hit .333/.400/1.083. He ended the postseason with a 4-0 record over 41 IP with 39 K and a 0.66 ERA.
- Will Smith ended with 4 saves and a 0.00 ERA.
- Tyler Naquin was the World Series MVP with a .391 AVG 1HR and 7 RBI
- Josh Bell is easily the best bat in my lineup. He led the team in every offensive category except for stolen bases.
- Young Adley Rutschman came along and put up some nice numbers at the end of the season. His performance may have made Joey Bart expendable.
- Reyes Moronta and Jose Castillo are solid arms in my bullpen. I will be able to build around them heading into next season.
- Dereck Rodriguez is a great arm – when healthy. I need to get a full season out of him next year.
We will head into the offseason and see what moves I can make to improve this roster. Hopefully the Giants can start to compete as we head into the 2020 season.